The combination of windy, cold, dry weather outside and humidity-depleting heaters indoors works to drain our skin of vital moisture during the Winter months. Our dewy, hydrated summer glow can quickly fade to a dull and ashy appearance. Keep reading to find out about our skin care tips for Winter to keep your skin health in check!
Here are some reasons why your skin might be feeling drier during Winter, other than the obvious (the weather!):
- You’re taking longer and warmer baths
- You’re using the same facial cleanser you used during Summer
- You’re not using a humidifier
- Your moisturizer is not enough
- You’re not exfoliating
- You stopped applying sunscreen
Although you may be thinking that adding additional moisture into your skin care routine will keep your skin health in check this Winter, there’s a lot more you can do
Here’s 10 important things you should be doing for your skin and body during the Winter months:
- Drink lots of water
- Avoid really hot showers
- Remember oily skin and hydrated skin are not the same thing
- If you’re not already, use night cream
- Exfoliation is key
- Add a serum to your skin routine
- Switch to a body oil rather than a moisturising cream
- Coconut oil is your friend
- Consider changing your makeup products
- Sleep on silk
Some of our handy hints for your face skin care routine during Winter –
- Wash your face in lukewarm water. Hot showers and baths always feel good in the winter, but when you can, particularly when just washing your face (or hands!), choose lukewarm water to avoid stripping as many oils away from the skin.
- Then moisturise immediately afterwards. Your skin not only needs more moisture, but moisturise right after you wash your face. Choose your moisturiser carefully as some super-market moisturisers have petroleum-based ingredients that can actually further dry your skin in the winter months. Be sure to choose a smart formula that has natural, nourishing ingredients. Go for an oil-based rather than a water-based solution, as it’s more likely to help your skin retain moisture in the winter.
- Change your cleanser as cleansers can be extremely drying to the skin. If you’re used to using options that contain glycolic or salicylic acid, rotate with a more hydrating version that contains moisturizing ingredients.After cleansing, don’t leave the skin naked for more than 30 seconds, as this can dehydrate it, leading to increased dryness. Apply a hydrating toner and moisturizer to seal in moisture.
Some extra products we recommend adding to your skin care routine during Winter –
- Use a sheet mask for moisture – Sheet masks allow rejuvenating ingredients to really soak into the skin
- Always carry a lip balm – by regularly applying a hydrating balm, they can stay ahead of the dryness
- Make sure you are still applying sunscreen everyday, including on your hands, neck and face
If you need some expert help from our skin specialists, you can book in for a free Visia Skin Analysis Face Scan & Full Consultation to help you on your skin health journey during Winter. Every Visia Skin Analysis Face Scan and Full Consultation is redeemable on all services and products over $99! We will help you choose the right products for you during the cooler months and beyond.